Tuesday, June 8, 2010

the bitters.



When creating or preparing a meal it is important to cover every aspect of flavors that we experience on the vast terrain of our tongues. There's the sweet, sour, bitter, salty, and umami, all flavors that we perceive by our tongues taste buds. It was originally thought that our tongue was broken into sections, where each flavor was recognized by a different area, however it is now decided that it is really all over. This makes sense, because a sensation, whether sorrow, happiness, guilt, pleasure, saltiness, is not confined to one area, it is all over. It may have hints of laughter or sweetness; its a mixture of pieces all combining together and fitting somehow. Which is maybe why we crave foods in this way and they taste better when activating each flavor. We are used to a mixture in our lives and we crave what we are used to. Our meals are not always the perfect balance or blend of all of the flavors, but that's just how things are sometimes, and it's no reason not to savor each flavor. 
I want to inspire, motivate, or just entertain, but mainly make a difference. I am not perfect, and my days are not always, so I can't promise that I will always write self empowering and inspirational things, because just like our foods, my moods and cravings are different each day, but there's always love. Every day I hope to make an impression or difference in someone's life, or educate them in some way or another. Whether it's through knowledge, positivity, self confidence, or a simple action. I crave sweetness, well being, love, and confidence in my life and want others to feel self empowered, healthy and SWEETNESS in their lives too. Because I  think that we all have a continual sweet tooth in life, but occasionally we need those bursts of other flavors to give us humility, appreciation, and a continual strive for more sweet and savory things in our lives. We need that slight bitter to make us appreciate just how luscious and satisfying those sweets are, which always keep you craving more.

1 comment:

  1. OMG! I love everything you just wrote and you are SO right! Well put my dear...I can't wait to read more. God only knows how crazy my cravings are. Scott is terrified of me when I get prego...haha. And yes, we all need the bitter to appreciate the sweet. Very important to remember. I love you!

    ReplyDelete