Wednesday, November 10, 2010

eating organic is super trendy...

Okay, so eating organic really is becoming a "trend" and what all the cool people are doing, but that's not the reason to eat organic. There are multitude of reasons that I could go on and on about, but that's not what this post is about.

I am talking about large food companies and corporations suddenly putting out a trendy little organic line, to go with their already popular products. For instance, sunsweet has an organic line of prunes, one that is conventional but without preservatives, their normal prunes, and then they have ones that you can buy that are individual pre-packaged in little "candy wrappers." Now, while I do like the idea of making a dried fruit your "candy," this company is sending off a multitude of ideas.
They have an organic line, which shows some concern with sustainability, but it seems more as though it is just a gimmick to make more money. Especially when they have just the opposite of sustainable when creating a product that is producing more trash than necessary with individually wrapped prunes.
Now this is just one company that I am pointing out, not to say that they are definitely using their organic line for purposes of charging more for the "trendy" item. But this seems to be more and more viable as the organic trend reaches more and more people.

So, my question to others and myself is, do we feel better about organic when the companies we are buying from may have ulterior motives for their organic line? My choices in buying organic aren't just for my health, but also the environment and sustainability. Are these companies slowly switching over to a more sustainable practice or is it just a gimmick?

These are really important questions for me to ask myself and for others to think about because there is so much more to organic than just less chemicals. My goal is to buy the most sustainable and healthy product available to me through the most sustainable and aware companies who aren't just "going green" to market better or make more money, but because they understand the need for it and want to educate others as well.


Just some food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment